Initial paperwork

When you take a new child, you must prepare paperwork for them. Each child must have their own set of paperwork, even if they are siblings. They will need...

·         A contract - if you are using NCMA insurance you must use their contract or you will not be covered if something goes wrong / Morton Michel also have a version for their members, or you can make your own;

·         Permissions – so you can take the children out, share information about their learning and development with other settings etc. I have listed useful contents for your permissions form on the drop down page from Policies and Procedures;

·         Routines – information about where you intend to take the children and how you intend to plan activities to fill their days. Routines and activity plans should not be set in stone, they can be adapted, but they must be shared with parents;

·         Menus – including information about food and drinks and how these will be adapted to each child’s individual requirements as necessary;

·         Payment schedule – it is good practice to make parents aware of how you charge, what you will do if the child is off, what you will do if you are not working, whether you charge in advance or arrears (backdated) etc. You also need to be totally up front about your charges for parents who are asking you to hold a place. I have talked about this on the Setting fees page;

·         Policies and procedures – these must be made available to every set of parents and must include information on Safeguarding; confidentiality information; what would happen if a child was not collected; what would happen if a child was lost. The EYFS talks in detail about the complaints procedure and this must be shared with parents;

.        Information about the EYFS - it is a requirement that you provide parents with information about how you work within the EYFS and how they can access more information about the EYFS;

·         Your report – parents must be shown your latest Ofsted report;

·         Children’s starting points – including information about how parents see their child’s learning and development. I have talked about this in mini e-book 7;

·         Details from parents – including emergency contact numbers; the child’s special health requirements; permission to seek necessary emergency medical advice or treatment; information about who has legal contact with the child; and who has parental responsibility for the child. This last one has caused some confusion as it is a new requirement for the EYFS;

·         Developmental records – a learning journey or scrapbook of each child’s achievements;

·         Planning – as well as your group planning, you must be able to show evidence that you prepare individual planning for each child. This must follow the EYFS guidance and be shared with parents and children regularly, showing their input;

·         Attendance register – see notes on next page...


See e-book 2 'Daily Diary - for childminders and children' for sample paperwork and more ideas. You can find a copy of the EYFS 2012 to check statutory wording on the Foundation Years website.